Our level II pediatric trauma center provides advanced, lifesaving, care for babies, children, and teens with traumatic injuries.
Traumatic injuries can happen at any time, to anyone. When caring for children with potentially life-changing or life-threatening injuries, quick assessments and treatments are critical.
Fortunately, the pediatric trauma team at the Jon Michael Moore Trauma Center is always ready to respond. As the only pediatric trauma center in West Virginia verified by the American College of Surgeons, we provide comprehensive trauma care to children of all ages — from birth through adolescence.
We’re also here to provide the emotional support your family needs during your child’s treatment and recovery.
Complete, Well-coordinated Care
Our Trauma Center is home to a highly coordinated team of trauma-trained experts. We’re led by a trauma surgeon who works in conjunction with an emergency medicine physician and trauma nurses. We work together to rapidly diagnose and treat your child. The type of care your child will need depends on the type and severity of their injury. In addition to the above team members, your child may also receive care from one or more of the following pediatric specialists:
- Cardiothoracic surgeons
- Critical care physicians
- Ear, nose, and throat (ENT) physicians
- Oral and maxillofacial surgeons
- Orthopedic surgeons
- Vascular surgeons
If your child needs surgery, our state-of-the-art operating room with pediatric equipment is available 24/7.
Once your child is stable, they may also work with professionals specializing in rehabilitation, psychology, or social work.
The WVU Medicine Children’s Difference
No one plans to have a traumatic injury. But when the unexpected happens, you can take comfort knowing comprehensive pediatric trauma care is available right here in the Mountain State. There are many reasons we’ve earned our reputation for providing the highest level of care and support:
- We serve the entire region: Children throughout West Virginia and surrounding areas including Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Ohio are often transferred here for our advanced, around-the-clock pediatric trauma care.
- We’re part of a statewide network: Not only are we an integral part of the state’s emergency care system, but we also partner with HealthNet Aeromedical Services to provide medical air transport. With 10 flight bases throughout West Virginia and Kentucky, HealthNet can transfer children to our Trauma Center within minutes.
- Our critical care services are second to none: In addition to offering the state’s largest pediatric intensive care unit, we can provide extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) for children who need extra heart or lung support. During ECMO, blood is pumped from the body into a machine, mixed with oxygen, and pumped back into the body. The machine takes over for the heart and lungs, giving them time to rest and recover.
- We understand the importance of emotional support: Our child-life specialists can guide your child or family members through the emotional and psychological challenges of trauma care. Whether you need help understanding your child’s treatments or want someone to help distract your other children, we’re here to help.
- We’ll help your child keep up with their schoolwork: If your child was injured during the school year and needs to stay in the hospital during their recovery, we can help make sure they don’t fall too far behind. Our on-site, state-certified teacher provides educational support to kids in grades K-12 who live in or outside of West Virginia. For example, we can help students complete their assignments and send them to their teachers.
- We work to improve safety and outcomes: Our trauma program offers community outreach and education services to help prevent injuries before they occur. We teach children and their caregivers how to stay safe by giving presentations at schools, health fairs, and other community events. Our program topics include ATV safety, bike and helmet safety, fall prevention, and the dangers of impaired or distracted driving. We also offer car seat installation and inpatient safety injury prevention services.