Our team offers expert care for conditions that affect the brain or spinal cord, including pediatric MS, epilepsy, cerebral palsy, and more.
Welcome to the Neuroscience Center at WVU Medicine Children’s.
Our collaboration between top experts in pediatric neurosurgery and neurology allows us to offer complete care for children with brain, spine, and nerve problems.
When your child is suffering from a condition affecting their neurologic functioning or their growth and development, you want answers. Our team of experts can help you find them. As the state’s flagship children’s hospital, we’re home to specialists trained to treat a broad range of pediatric neurological disorders.
However, we do not stop there. We also offer expert care in highly specialized areas of child neurology and neurosurgery. We’ve assembled a comprehensive team to evaluate your child’s concerns. Because no two children are exactly alike, we work together to create a unique treatment plan that meet your child’s individual needs.
Why Choose Our Neuroscience Center
If your child needs care for a brain or spine condition, turn to the experts at WVU Medicine Children’s. We are home to the largest, most experienced team of neurological specialists in the state.
Families also trust us with their child’s care because we offer:
- Disease-specific clinics: To help streamline care for kids with certain complex conditions, we’ve pulled together all the specialists and services they may need in one location. We have separate multispecialty clinics for patients with epilepsy, cerebral palsy, headaches, multiple sclerosis, neuromuscular disorders, and more.
- Unmatched epilepsy care: Our Neuroscience Center includes West Virginia’s only pediatric epilepsy monitoring unit. This is an important diagnostic tool for children with hard-to-treat (refractory) epilepsy. It allows us to pinpoint where in the brain seizures occur — then treat that target area. We also offer all types of pediatric epilepsy surgery, including laser ablation and vagus nerve stimulator placement.
- West Virginia’s only pediatric neuroimmunology clinic: We offer unique expertise in autoimmune diseases that attack the brain and spinal cord, including neurosarcoidosis and Anti-MOG antibody syndrome. Not only can we properly diagnose these rare conditions, but we also offer exciting new treatments that help preserve brain cells while preventing relapses or flare-ups.
- Advanced surgery options: Our neurosurgeons have experience performing nearly every type of brain and spine procedure. This includes spina bifida repair, ventricular shunt placement, craniofacial reconstruction, and endoscopic techniques that let us remove pituitary tumors through the nose.
- Genetic testing and counseling: Many neurological disorders are caused by a gene mutation that can run in families. Our neurogenetic program serves children and families who have or are at risk for hereditary conditions such as spinal muscular atrophy and Fragile X syndrome. Knowing your child’s family history and genetic profile helps us customize their care.
- Access to research: Families who want to give their child the opportunity to test promising new treatments for neurological disorders have access to clinical trials.
Neuroscience Programs and Services
Our Neuroscience Center of Excellence brings together the medical, surgical, and support services your child may need to live well with their condition. These include:
- Neurology: Our pediatric neurologists offer safe, effective medicines as well as nonsurgical procedures and therapies.
- Neurosurgery: Our neurosurgeons perform a broad range of brain and spine procedures, including less-invasive options that may help your child recover more quickly.
- Neurodevelopmental Center: We help children with certain physical and mental disabilities meet their developmental milestones.